Close

Two Men Die in Coin Laundry Fire

Paul Partyka |

CHICAGO RIDGE, Ill. — Two men died recently in an overnight laundry fire at Bruno’s Cleaners in Chicago Ridge, Ill., a southwest Chicago suburb. Police believe the two men probably started the fire in a sink in hopes of warming the store.The victims were two homeless men who were spending the night in the 24-hour, non-attended laundry in order to avoid bitter cold temperatures, Chicago Ridge Police Chief Tim Balderman said. No one else was in the building, police believe.The men died of inhalation of carbon monoxide, smoke and soot, according to police and the Cook County medical examiner’s office. Both of the men were found near the front of the building. It is uncertain whether the men were sleeping or trying to escape. One of the men frequently spent nights in the laundry, the police say.The fire, which started in a sink, spread rapidly. No accelerant was used, but samples were taken from the scene for testing.In addition to the coin laundry, the building also housed a drycleaning business that is separated by a wall. The laundry was severely damaged and may not be able to reopen. 

About the author

Paul Partyka

American Coin-Op

Paul Partyka was editor of American Coin-Op from 1997 through May 2011.

Advertisement

Digital Edition

Latest Classifieds

Industry Chatter